Frequently Asked Questions


 I am moving to town. Who do I contact for utility hookups?

  • Gas Hookups MidAmerican Energy: 1-888-427-5632
  • Electric Hookups Alliant Energy: 1-800-255-4268
  • Mailbox: Hills Post Office 319-679-2201 We do not get mail delivered to the door; a post office box will be issued to residents with ID requirements.
  • Sewer, Water and Garbage: City Clerk 319-679-3197

 What is the city's garbage and recycling policy? When is the pickup schedule?


The City of Hills contracts with Johnson County Refuse for garbage and recycling.  There is a monthly fee for residential trash and recycling based upon the size of trash cart that you choose. Commercial properties are required to take care of their own trash and recycle services. A 65 gallon trash cart and a 65 gallon recycle cart is $18.50 per month. A 35 gallon trash cart and a 65 gallon recycle cart is $16.50 per month. (Every residence is provided a 65 gallon recycle cart).  

Any garbage that does not fit into the cart needs to be in a bag no larger than 35 gallons with a 40 pound weight limit, placed on top of cart with lid closed and with 1 sticker on bag. One sticker is sold for $3.00 at the Hills City Office.


Garbage and recycling are picked up on Tuesday mornings in Hills. If pick up falls on a holiday, changes will be posted. Carts need to be placed curbside by 7:00 am on the morning of pick up with the arrows on the lid pointing toward the street. The lid must be closed and have 4 feet of clearance around the cart so that the truck will be able to pick up the cart.


The City hosts two Community Wide Clean-Ups, one in October and one in May.  These are held on Saturdays at the Hills City Park parking lot. This service provides residents of Hills an opportunity to dispose of unwanted items to drop off at no charge, except for appliances, televisions and computer monitors.  Household appliances, televisions and computer monitors will be $10.00 each.  Construction debris, paint or toxic waste, commercial appliances, tires, and household garbage is not allowed.  No businesses are allowed to bring items. 


 Where do I vote for elections?

The voting Poll place for the city of Hills is the Hills Community Center for General and School Board Elections.

 Where will my children go to school?

  • Kindergarten through Sixth Grade go to Hills Elementary School.
  • Seventh and Eighth Grade go to Northwest Junior High, Iowa City.
  • High School goes to Iowa City West High School, Iowa City. 

For more information go to

 Is there a library available?

The City contracts with the Iowa City Public Library for services. You may get a library card from the Iowa City Public Library. You must have a photo ID and proof of current address. Hills has installed a small free library located in front of the Hills Community Center. Please feel free to take a book and/or leave a book. Larger donations of books may be dropped at the City Office.

 Who do I call for law enforcement problems?

The City of Hills has a contract with the Johnson County Sheriff's Department. For emergencies, call 911. For other business, call 356-6020.

 Who do I contact if I notice a street light out?

You can call Alliant Energy at 1-800-255-4268 or the City Clerk at 679-3197.

 I would like to get a building permit- where do I go?

A building permit is required for any new construction and/or remodels or additions. Applications can be found under the Government section, Permits, Licenses & Forms or at the City Office.

 When are City utilities billed? When are utility payments due?

The city of Hills bills monthly for the sewer/recycling/water charges. Utility billing is normally mailed on the first of each month, but no later than the fifth of each month. Utility bills are due on the 20th of each month. Unpaid accounts will be assessed a penalty on the 21st of each month. The City offers an automatic payment of utility accounts. An application for ACH debit is available under Government Section, Permits, Licenses & Forms or at the City Office.

 Who is the contact person for renting shelters at the City Park?

If you would like to rent the shelter at the City Park, please contact the Hills Clerk's office at 319-679-3197. There is a $25.00 fee for shelter rental.

 Who is the contact person for renting the Hills Community Center?

If you would like to inquire about or to rent the Hills Community Center please contact the Hills City Office at 319-679-3197.

 What are the government (Clerk's Office) office hours?

Mon 12:00PM-4:00PM  
Tues 12:00PM-4:00PM  
Wed 12:00PM-4:00PM  
Thurs 12:00PM-4:00PM  
Fri 12:00PM-4:00 PM  

 Where can I find the Council minutes and agendas?

Council Minutes and Agendas are posted at the Hills Post Office, Hills Bank and Trust Company, Hills Community Center.  Minutes can also be found under Government Section, Agendas and Minutes.


 Is there open burning in Hills?

The City of Hills allows open burning twice a year. This dates will be posted on this website, Hills News Letter, Clerk's Office, Post Office, Hills Bank and the Community Center. Dates are determined by the Fire Chief, usually spring and fall.

 Do I need a permit for a recreational fire?

If it is in a fire pit, no.  Otherwise, check with the Fire Chief.